Ravens, Falcons Play to 1-1 Tie Saturday in Battle of the Birds

Ravens, Falcons Play to 1-1 Tie Saturday in Battle of the Birds

RINDGE, N.H. (October 7, 2017) – The Franklin Pierce University men's soccer team and Northeast-10 Conference opponent Bentley University needed two overtimes to find a winner, but it was all for naught as the teams concluded 110 minutes in a 1-1 tie Saturday afternoon in Waltham, Mass. The tie sends Bentley to 0-8-2, 0-5-2 NE10 and Franklin Pierce to 5-2-2, 3-2-2 NE10. Since starting the season 5-0-0, the Ravens have gone 0-2-2 over their last four contests.

There were plenty of shots in this contest as the hosts outshot the guests by an 18-10 margin. However, shots on goal were at a premium as Bentley could only muster four and the Ravens recorded three.

Franklin Pierce took the early 1-0 lead at the 8:17 mark when Yannik Felber (Koblenz, Germany) scored his fourth goal of the campaign as he chipped a shot over the top of the Falcons defensive unit from 15 yards out.

Bentley would knot the score at 1-1 in the 63rd minute as Sean Sullivan connected with Julian Stewart on a goal as Sullivan dribbled around the marker, played the ball to Stewart who deposited a shot through traffic from about 12 yards out.

In the first overtime, Bentley had the first chance to score as Kyle Archambault rifled a shot that was blocked by a Raven defender. The ball went out of play which led to a corner kick chance that the Ravens successfully foiled. During the 94th minute, Charlie Lopez had a clean look from the top of the box, but Jadel Poon-Lewis (Diego Martin, Trinidad and Tobago) punched the ball away with his hands.

Franklin Pierce responded with a corner kick opportunity in the 98th minute. The ball was lofted into the air, to the back right of the box where junior defender Jordan Barnett (Grimsby, England) got his head on the ball and headed it towards the goal, but right to Bentley netminder Harrison Rapant who clutched the rock with both hands to keep the match deadlocked at one all through the first overtime period.

With under six minutes to play, Archambault had an open shot for the potential game-winning goal, but his shot attempt sailed wide of the mark. Two minutes later, Sean Sullivan was stifled by Poon-Lewis on another shot attempt.  A foul was called on Franklin Pierce which led to a free kick from 35 yards out. A Bentley player took the free kick attempt, but his cross went past the endline which resulted in a goal kick.

The Ravens made one more charge down towards the Bentley defensive end and the Ravens continued to pass the ball between players. 18 seconds remained on the clock when Noam Kolakofsky (Liman, Israel) ripped a shot high that effectively ended the duel in a tie.

Poon-Lewis stopped a match-best three shots in the contest while Rapant made two saves as well.

The Ravens look to get back on the winning track when they host Saint Michael's College on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

For more information on Franklin Pierce Athletics, please visit the official website of Franklin Pierce Athletics (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu). Also be sure to follow the Ravens through the Department of Athletics' official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FranklinPierceRavens), its YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/franklinpiercesports) and its Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/FPUathletics). Fans wishing to purchase Franklin Pierce men's soccer apparel can do so at the Department of Athletics' online store (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu/store).