Ravens Snap Winless Streak with 11-7 Victory Over Purple Knights

Ravens Snap Winless Streak with 11-7 Victory Over Purple Knights

RINDGE, N.H.  (April 19, 2017) – The Franklin Pierce University men's lacrosse team broke their six game losing streak with an 11-7 win against Northeast-10 Conference opponent Saint Michael's College on a cloudy Wednesday afternoon down on Sodexo Field. With the win, the Ravens jump to 4-7 and 2-7 NE10 and the loss was the eighth of the season overall and in league play for the Purple Knights.

The contest was a back and forth affair as both sides swapped goals during the first half of play. The Ravens took over in the second stanza by opening the half with three straight markers and outscored their counterparts 6-2 in the final 30 minutes.

Junior midfielder Sean Delea (Hampstead, N.H.) led the Ravens offense with a hat-trick (three goals). His final score was his 64th career tally which moves him past Jimmy Ward for sole possession of sixth place on the program's all-time goal list.

Fellow teammate Luke Tracy (Pelham, N.H.) tallied two goals of his own and Benjamin Lassow (Mansfield, Conn.) matched Tracy's scoring output on seven shots. Jake Castorf (Holbrook, N.Y.) added a goal and an assist on the afternoon. Defensively, senior Robert Meyers (Pompton Lakes, N.J.) led all players with four caused turnovers while scooping up three groundballs. Meyers also scored his second goal of the season.

Leading the Purple Knights was freshman attack Ralph Grillone III who chalked up two goals and two helpers en route to a four point effort.

The opening seven and a half minutes of play was scoreless until Delea broke into the scoring column by catching a pass at the top of the box, ran in a few feet and sniped a high shot past netminder Matt Hanley to push the Ravens on top 1-0.

Five minutes passed until Saint Michael's knotted the score on Anthony Sullivan's fifth goal of the campaign. On the ensuing face off, Bobby Frank picked up the groundball and immediately rifled a shot on net that was turned away by Raven goalie Connor Wacksman (Guilderland, N.Y.). Wacksman made the save, but the ball bounced off his stick and caromed almost out of play to the back left behind the net. Waxman left the cage and tried to scoop up the rock, but Hunter Goodwin beat him to the spot which left the goal wide open. Goodwin made a pass from directly behind the cage to a waiting Frank and Frank fired a one timer into the keeper-less cage to give the Purple Knights their first lead.

Tracy and Castorf connected on the contest tying goal as Tracy somehow squeezed the ball into the side of the net with 46 seconds left in the first.

The Ravens wasted no time regaining the advantage as Delea and Castorf increased the lead to two on Castorf's bouncing goal. Tom Fitzgerald and Grillone III brought things to a deadlock at the 4:56 mark before junior attack Jack Carney (Dunbarton, N.H.) put Pierce back ahead. With eight seconds left Frank scored his second goal of the game after a crazy clear attempt. Hanley lofted a pass to midfield from the crease to a waiting Johnny Karanasios. Karanasios immediately got rid of the ball and threw a pass to Grillone III who pitched the rock to a cutting Frank for the tying goal.

As they did in the second quarter, the Ravens scored quickly, 18 seconds into the third as junior midfielder Brad Chapdelaine (Goffstown, N.H.) centered a catch a shoot at the top of the point to Louis Palumbo (Commack, N.Y.) and Palumbo fired home an attempt. Two more unanswered goals were scored as Tracy threw in a falling attempt from the left side and Delea dangled and dodged defenders in the top of the box to put FPU up 8-5. Grillone III scored his third and final goal of the game as he posted up a defender and rifled a fall away shot that skipped through Wacksman's legs.

Benjamin Lassow would tally two straight and Meyers would cause a turnover, scoop up a groundball, pass the rock to a teammate, receive an entry pass, streak down the right sideline while completing a clear and cocked back, fired an attempt high cheese that would ice the game for the Crimson and Grey.

Wacksman matched a season-high with 15 saves, a feat he's accomplished two times previously this season and earned his fourth victory to improve to 4-7 on the year. Hanley was saddled with the setback and fell to 1-7 while making nine saves.

The Ravens conclude their home schedule on Saturday when they host NE10 opponent Saint Rose in a Senior Day showdown at 1:00 p.m.

For more information on Franklin Pierce Athletics, please visit the official website of Franklin Pierce Athletics (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu). Also be sure to follow the Ravens through the Department of Athletics' official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FranklinPierceRavens), its YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/franklinpiercesports) and its Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/FPUathletics). Fans wishing to purchase Franklin Pierce men's lacrosse apparel can do so at the Department of Athletics' online store (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu/store).